Attack the Geek by Michael R. Underwood

Attack the Geek - Michael R. Underwood

**Thank you to Pocket Books and Netgalley for providing this copy in exchange for an honest review**

This was my first encounter with the Ree Reyes series. I missed that this was a later in series when I requested it. I was completely lost for the first few pages and thought I'd have to put this aside until I read at least the first book. Thankfully, I stuck it out. I came to the title for chapter one and found out I was supposed to be unsure of what was going on. The author does a little recap of who all the major characters are and gives you a little back story of what's happened in the series so far. You don't need to be submerged in the Geek culture to understand this book. I just barely skim the top of the Geek world. I knew all the TV, movie, comic, and book references they made. I will admit most of the game references were Greek to me. I have a (very) basic understanding of the card games and D&D. I knew only a couple of the computer and video games references. Even with a some of the jokes going over my head, I really enjoyed this story. It has a really unique twist on the UF genre.

The action starts on the first page and continues right to the end. I like what I saw of the secondary characters. I absolutely loved Ree. She's smart, strong, and hysterical. I really liked the magical system. It's nothing like anything I've seen before. There is a situation between Ree and Eastwood that I'm pretty sure will be a big spoiler for one of the previous books. It seems like the type of the that was probably the main story. I now plan to buy the other two books in this series.