The Orphan and the Thief by M. L. LeGette

The Orphan and the Thief - M.L. LeGette

**Thank you M. L. LeGette and Netgalley for providing this in exchange for an honest review**

Toad is a thief. Unfortunately, he isn't a very good one. After botching multiple jobs, he is kicked out of his gang. Determined to prove himself, he breaks into the house of Mr. Owl. He is once again caught. Mr. Owl makes a deal with him. If Toad can collect a few items Mr. Owl needs, he'll let Toad live.

Melena is an orphan. She lost her parents in a fire seven years ago when their house burned down. She was adopted by the awful Bells, so they could her use as an assistant in their potions shop. By chance, she happens to find a discarded potions book in the trash. As she gives it a try, she realizes she is much better at potions making then her adopters. She starts sells her concoctions at the shop's back door. She is squirreling her money away in hopes of saving enough to hire a private detective. She knows her brother survived the fire and is out there somewhere.

Honestly, I feel like I read a very different book then everyone else. I really like the story idea, but writing wasn't well executed. There wasn't any proper world building or character development. What was there was all telling and no showing. I found myself skimming big chunks and not having any issues knowing what was going on. The characters ran into too many lucky breaks. The only thing I can say I really enjoyed were a couple of the secondary characters. Joe and Spit-Fire were both great. This book wasn't horrible, but I honestly couldn't recommend it to anyone.